|Taking on My Dreams, acrylic on paper study, by Karen Phillips|
“Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”
Day 4 prompts us to dream big and list some goals we would like to achieve within the next 30 years. At first I thought this would be soooo easy. But, right now I'm in a weird space where I'm comfortable with what I'm doing creatively and personally.
Aha! Perhaps I'm too comfortable because it took some real thinking to get to a place where I could start thinking about what I would like to have accomplished in the next 30 years. Boy, 30 years from now...hmm...that would make me #@!! years old! I'd better get started!
In having dug deep to do this exercise, I found that became more focussed on the direction I'm headed and I feel excited by it. Where will you be in 30 years? Try on a dream or two. Go on, I dare ya!
1) List FIVE GOALS you would like to achieve in the NEXT 30 YEARS (or 10, or 20 years… think long term)
- Live in another country with my husband for 1 year to experience a new culture and make new friends
- Travel to Africa
- Show my work in major galleries in New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Shanghai and South Africa
- Paint a series of portraits
- Know the history of my mother's side of the family, especially my great-grandmother
2) Now, thinking of the above far-reaching goals, list FIVE GOALS you need to accomplish in the NEXT FIVE YEARS to move towards achieving them. (Some of these might be the same as your goals above. That’s okay!).
- Visit three countries to if we would want to live there
- Save $10k for trip to Africa
- Create 10 series of 10 works, get shows in local galleries
- Do 1,000 studies of drawing and painting
- Meditate, help people learn to read
3) Finally, list FIVE GOALS to be accomplished in the NEXT 12 MONTHS… as if it were the last year of your life! What will you have accomplished by March 4th , 2015?
- Visit one country with my husband
- Save $2k towards trip to Africa
- Create 5 series of at least 10 works, find a local gallery to show my work
- Study Barnstone Method and draw everyday
- Meditate 20 minutes per day and volunteer for reading program