Monday, October 14, 2013

Blogtoberfest 2013: Day 13 Circle Series - Exclusivity and Unity

This painting is the start of my Circle series that I started working on earlier this year. My inspiration for this work started with a question, "When is it ok to be exclusive?"
Seeking Unity, Acrylic on canvas by Karen Phillips
At the time, there was so much in the news about one group or another wanting to exclude another. I started thinking about why we form groups or cliques and recognized our need to feel a part of something, something that helps us feel whole. We seek to join with others, to perhaps become something more than we are as individuals.
Circle Series, Mixed Media on canvas by Karen Phillips
Circle Series, Mixed Media on canvas by Karen Phillips
So I've been playing with these ideas and seeing what I can discover. This grouping of five circles has my attention for the moment. In the above painting there is some separation between the first circle and the rest of the group. Does it want to join or doesn't it? I'm not sure yet.

4 comments:

  1. As usual Karen, great questions. I feel uncomfortable with this one--when is it ok to be exclusive? But it makes sense that at certain times, there are boundaries. Love these paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruth I agree with you that there are times when exclusivity is necessary. I will elaborate on this idea in a later post. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  2. I'm still a circle addict, so I LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jes! Going to be starting a new painting tomorrow. I wonder what the subject will be?

      Delete